Did you know that November is National Family Caregiver Month? There are more than 40 million caregivers across the country who support aging parents, ill spouses, or other loved ones with disabilities who remain at home. These caregivers are adults of all different ages. However, they all seem to share some of the same experiences, both good and bad. Below are a few tips for family caregivers:
- Do Not Neglect Your Own Health. Often, caregivers get so caught up in taking care of a loved one, they forget to take care of themselves. Be sure exercise and eat as healthy as possible when you can.
- Join Caregivers Support Groups. Being a caregiver can sometimes get lonely. You may feel others do not understand what you are going through, or you may simply not feel comfortable talking about it. Reach out to facilities, and even check on social media for groups that offer support to caregivers. It is always good to hear from others that have and/or are going through the same situations as you.
- Have a Plan. You never know when you may need someone to step in for you. To save yourself time and stress, have a written plan of your daily schedule when caring for your loved one. Be sure to have all medications organized, and in an easily accessible location in the home. Most importantly, keep your plan and medication list updated as often as possible.
- Ask and Accept Help from Others. Asking and accepting help from others is sometimes one of the hardest things for a caregiver to do. You cannot do everything on your own, and to keep from being burnt out it is best to let someone give you a helping hand. Be specific in the things people can do to help you.
- Give Yourself Credit. Being a caregiver is no easy task, and not everyone can be one. Take some time to reward yourself and do something that you love. After all, you deserve it!
If are or know of a caregiver who can use a little extra help reach out to us Superior Healthcare Services. We would love to be of assistance with any medical or non-medical care! Give us a call today at 678-251-9922 to see how we can help!